Sunday 16 October 2011

TODAY'S IMAGE: OCTOBER 16, 2011


THE ASTRONOMY LESSON by Steven Christopher Seward (1958-)

Oil
2007
60.96 x 48.26 cm
(24" x 19")
Private collection
PLEASE ENLARGE THUMB

"After high school, I went to a prestigious art school where I learned virtually nothing (!) and dropped out after a year-and-a-half. Then followed a short career teaching community art classes and an even shorter career at American Greetings Corporation, where I was abruptly fired after three months.

"I use only archival materials, including laboriously home-ground oil paints made to suit my brushing preferences and specifications."

This American portrait artist is absolutely amazing. His work reflects the American people at their most serene and insightful moments. Their souls shine through in every one of his masterpieces. Maybe it is because I grew up with younger brothers, but I was enchanted immediately by the entire scene and the captured emotions. Certainly I don't remember my brothers ever being so calm and unified! And the book? I gave that same book to my daughters many years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment is not posted, it was deemed offensive.