Wednesday 26 October 2011

VINTAGE HALLOWE'EN: OCTOBER 26, 2011

1948. I was 2 months old when this magazine came out. 
This was how Halloween was viewed back then. 
Suddenly, I feel so terribly old-fashioned!
And, OMG, $.10 for 52 pages!

This spooky house, painted in the late 1940's by Donn Crane below seems so normal compared to the blood n guts so celebrated today! For one thing, "spook" usually carries negative governmental spy connotations today, not Caspar the friendly ghost.

One huge difference I find in both images and today's Halloween is that, although it still existed back then, Satanism is NOT front and centre as it is today. Times were much more innocent and did not mean an excuse to dress with one's emphasis on sex.

3 comments:

  1. Greetings.....Who is the beauty in head dress at the top right of your page?
    Great work keep on.
    Nothing changes , it still is hallo ween by degrees,
    love u , pout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check here for your answer on who the beauty is:

    TODAY'S IMAGE: OCTOBER 6, 2011

    http://snippits-and-slappits.blogspot.com/2011/10/todays-image-october-6-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning.......I was in a mixed field realizing you are 63

    My oh my you age well my love . Excellent work, keep on keeping it real.

    love u pout

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is not posted, it was deemed offensive.