Friday 15 March 2013

THOUGHTS AND TRIBUTES ON THE PASSING OF DOUGLAS CHRISTIE

ED Noor: I am going to post this and then go to Mr. Christie's funeral and the after-gathering since both take place within a few miles of my home..  I hope there is room for me in what will most likely be a packed St. Andrew's Cathedral Doug was a staunch Roman Catholic to the end.

 
"I think my daughter said it best, that everybody talks about his legacy as a lawyer, a public speaker, an inspirational speaker ~ a person who helped a lot of people who were down and out and couldn’t pay ~ but she said his real legacy was as a father,” ~ Keltie Zubko

 * * * * *

“I was honoured to work with Doug Christie over the past 25 years. Canada is a much better place today than it might have been because he had the courage to defend clients targeted by the powerful and did so brilliantly. I regard him as one of the greatest lawyers Canada has produced, since he defended extremely unpopular and isolated people fearlessly and in doing so protected the rights of all Canadians to freedom of speech and the right to be heard.  He is an advocate in the truest sense of the word.” ~ Barbara Kulaszka

* * * * *

“I’m saddened to report that my friend Doug Christie has passed away. Doug was a lawyer, husband and a dad from Victoria BC.  But he was more than that of course.  For a generation he was Canada’s leading free speech advocate – in fact, he was often Canada’s only free speech advocate. …  Doug Christie kept the flame of free speech burning for all of us. For Jews, for gentiles, for blacks, for whites, for conservatives, for liberals…  That’s the thing about free speech that Doug Christie understood; it’s the gift that you have to give to your opponents, if you want it for yourself.  I’ll miss Doug.  He was a great public speaker, and a passionate scholar of history … He’s gone, but his project [for freedom] continues; and I pledge that I’ll continue his fight.  Rest in Peace Doug Christie; A freedom fighter of the first order.” ~ Ezra Levant

* * * * *

“Doug was an immensely brave man and a towering presence in Court. His height and firmness of bearing made an impact on many a judge, and, I suspect, many a miscreant or liar under cross-examination. Other lawyers have told me that Doug was one of the most intimidating cross-examiners in this Dominion. … The Doug I knew was a sensitive and proud man. He was a deeply moral man. He did not seek notoriety. He felt the rejections and condemnations deeply. Yet, Doug felt a higher imperative -- individual freedom and liberty. These had once been the values of our generation. … Doug Christie was a one man Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke holding back the tidal wave of repression. His achievements were many.” ~ Paul Fromm

* * * * *

“I weep and am sorrowful. Doug Christie stood his ground, he fought using principle, he is and always was a free man, he loved his life, his children, his partner and all the treasure his life created. I saw him take on the most difficult conundrums in our struggle to be free and defended the principle of freedom for all of us. Objectively, we are measured by our ability to improve the human condition and I am a better Canadian because Doug Christie defended my freedom. This is a great loss to humanity, to humans everywhere. I am proud to call Doug Christie my countryman. You are a hero Doug Christie. We will not forget you. I will not forget you. Thank-you Doug Christie.” ~ Philip Kuefler

* * * * *

“Along with so many others, I will remember Doug Christie with gratitude and high regard. The memory of this courageous and principled man shines all the brighter during our dark age of rampant opportunism and deceit. My sympathy goes especially to Keltie, his devoted wife.” ~ Mark Weber

 * * * * *

“It was God who sent Doug to me in a David and Goliath situation back in the 90s. If you have never had an experience of being a client of his in a courtroom full of hate, (for him and us) then you will never know the feeling of the hand of God on your shoulders when the crown stays the charges and the crowd gasps in disbelief wanting their pound of flesh. Doug rescued us from the fire, for that, and all of his work there IS a special place for him, in the arms of God.” ~ Joe Lockhart

* * * * *

“When I met Doug Christie he was the complete opposite of what I was told to expect. He was a very caring libertarian; he stuck up for the rights of almost anybody. … I’ve always kind of compared him to a giant sequoia. His roots are deep; the shadow is right across the country. And we’ve lost a giant. We really have.” ~ Barclay Johnson

 * * * * *

“Douglas Christie is a hero and dedicated fighter for freedom of speech.  In my youth, I recollect attending a meeting where he was the guest speaker. I was struck not only by his superior oratory skills, but even more so by both his passion and love for freedom. He brilliantly conveyed the significance of what freedom is all about and how vital it is to resist artificially induced state control over it.

Over the past couple of decades I have become closely acquainted with Doug. The respect that spawned the evening I saw him speak for the first time only deepened with every case and submission that he made on behalf of freedom. His defences consisted of a rare combination of sound logic and reason combined with compelling emotion.” ~ Marc Lemire

* * * * *

It greatly saddens my heart to tell you who have not yet heard the news, that my long time friend and legal defender, and friend, Doug Christie, died on March 11, 2013.

Attorney Douglas Christie was truly a great man because he stood up courageously against a powerful, unscrupulous foe.  At great cost to himself, his family and his career, he fought to the very end of his life for true human rights and human freedom.

I first met him in the mid-seventies when he fought hard for my right to speak in Canada, and since that time he has defended many anti-Zionist patriots from attempts by the Jewish extremists to imprison them for their non-violent opinions and conscience. Over the years, Ernst Zundel and many others relied on his untiring efforts for true freedom. Many times he worked tirelessly, facing harassment, and even physical threats and attacks to help secure the freedom for those who dared to expose the greatest threat to the freedom of Canadians and all mankind: the Zio supremacists.

I must tell you that my visits with Doug will always remain in my memory as some the high points of my life. He was a man gracious, unselfish, humorous, kind, and absolutely fearless in the face of bestial foe.

He pointed out eloquently that the government officials who seek to kidnap men and women from their families and imprison them for years simply for expressing their non-violent opinions ~ are the true violators of human rights. It is they who should be in prison not the  man who simply speaks his conscience.

The fact that in the European world men and women are being sent to prison, often for years for exercising their inherent human right of free speech and free conscience, is a stain on all of the European people. Doug Christie sacrificed much of his own time and freedom and money to fight for those who had no means to defend themselves before the tyrannical foe.

I am sad to think that he is no longer with us.

But he will remain in our memories and our hearts. He will live on in the work we will do and he will always be an inspiration to those of us devoted to this struggle.

I know that he rests in peace, for no man has given more of his himself, of his life to his people!

May the memory of Doug Christie inspire you for all your days as he inspires me.

Christie stood strong at the sharpest peaks fighting for Human Rights
He faced the tempest, the demons of repression and hate
Their lightning bolts could not deter him
And his words of truth rang out like thunder in return
They shook the enemy, and shook many of our kindred from their sleep
His work is done and now he passes on to Valhalla’s rest
But his spirit with us we shall always keep!

~  Dr. David Duke

2 comments:

  1. One day soon, he will be featured in our new history books. R.I.P. Doug. One of the great, great men of our troubled times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MR Christie has passed away but the forces he fought so hard with are still very much present.

    It therefore behooves us as lovers of truth, freedom and justice to keep watch with a critical eye that the machinations of government not usurpe the values he championed .We are henceforth the deputies that carry on in his name .

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is not posted, it was deemed offensive.