Friday 8 April 2016

MY COMPUTER DIED

Well, it is sad to relate, but my vintage has PC finally given up the ghost and ascended to PC paradise. With it went all my links to my cartoon sources, a vast collection of files and folders, all of which are more difficult to replace than the hard drive itself. This is coming from the local coffee shop. A new PC is on the way so I will be back in action ASAP, hopefully by next week.

On the good side, this means starting fresh! Much is tucked away on an external drive, but it is not up to date at all.  It is the loss of links that will be more difficult to replace since many were not in English and were found by happenstance.  That money was intended for a much-needed tune-up, but necessity is a cruel mistress.

Not to mention, I am coming down with bronchitis so we shall see how things move along. Despite all of this, the mood is good at the moment. But then again, these things will, as always, pass. 

7 comments:

  1. Some very good technician may be able to retrieve the data. I once thought everything was lost on mine and a friend was able to actually save all my data even though the hard drive was unusable to run the pc.

    Sorry for your hassle and missing out on today's cartoon selection. I've come to look forward to them and use them.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, You have to go through this Ms. Snippits, You were missed in the Fetch chat room this morning. I've had 2 hard drives die in the past year, wiping out years of research. I had everything backed up to those 2 drives.. now I have to start over. You provide a very valuable service, hang in there! It's only stuff - "We'll come out at the other end"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well soon, Noor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when that happens....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about all your troubles, dear Noor. Hope everything gets back to normal soon. Your site is unique! All the best, Lasha

    ReplyDelete
  6. They were safer to have around when they were big and cumbersome. How nice when telephones had cords and could not be taken in cars or on walks. When people went to a theater to see a movie. Alas the world has become too easy in one way and almost impossible in another. These earthquakes coming now suggest the earth is angry. The Ring Of Fire. Japan could soon have more nuclear plants melting down; or will it be Ukraine that gets there first?
    It does seem like the FBI has done a good job of recovering what Hilary wiped from her computer. I would think someone who reads this blog would volunteer to help you. I don't have the know how. I believe you could send them the hard drive and they could send you back your lost material! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, do get well and fixed soon Noor. And yes, you can retrieve 'lost' data from your old hard drive. I know, it's happened to me more than once since I drive old clunkers too. Try to get those hard drives retrieved & downloaded onto an external HD.

    You don't have to grieve for any lost data except those things which weren't stored in a secure location, like Mail Waiting to be Sent. Those I cried over many times, and then gradually found some of them again over time & restored many of them to useful purpose.

    Good luck Noor. Prayers being said for your healing and the recovery of your data.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is not posted, it was deemed offensive.